First, a big welcome to Bonnie who was able to join us for the first time. She was kind enough to share with us her Mother’s meatball and sauce recipe, which she paired with a three cheese ravioli.
Since our other crazy photo member was in DC this meeting, I was feeling self conscious about my photo obsession.
That being said, that I wish I had better pictures of this dish- at least of the perfectly formed meat balls, and my satisfied smile as I ate them…. and then went back for more.
Next time I’ll do better. (I think I’ve said that before too)
Without further delay:
- two pounds lean hamburger
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder or 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1/2 cup seasoned italian bread crumbs
- 2 large or 3 medium mixed eggs
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion, finely chopped
Mix Well. Shape into balls- not too big, not too small. I’m a bad judge, but I think they were about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
Put them on tinfoil on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Bake in oven at 350 for about 45 minutes. Time will depend on size. Wipe off any grease with paper towels and add them to your sauce. Sauce should already be going when meatballs are added.
- In a large cooking pot add two 29 oz cans tomato sauce.
- Take 12 oz can of tomato paste. Take out paste and add one can of water to the can and add the water and the paste to the sauce in the large pot.
- Add three bay leaves
- Add one Tbsp of Oregano
- Add one Tbsp of Parsley
- 2 tsp of garlic powder or 3 fresh cloves of garlic minced.
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp basil